Tanjong Pagar

Tanjong Pagar was a historic centre for Singapore's Chinese community. It is now a cosmopolitan area within walking distance of the CDB with a wide range of old and new shops. It is a good place for a lunch time meal with office workers, a post work hangout area for pubs and fine dining and a pleasant place to explore cafes and eclectic shops on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dimbulah

I stayed in Sydney for 9 years and over there coffee culture was part of work culture. Every morning, there would be queues in the CDB lining up for hot cups of coffee. Even the ordinary shop in Sydney would serve coffee that was better than some places that call themselves gourmet coffee cafes here. The coffee culture is just prevalent in most parts of the country.

Generous sized latte

Dimbulah is marketed as fine Australian coffee. It is one of the early serious gourmet coffee entrants in Singapore.. They have another store in Raffles Place also targeting office crowds. Having coffee in the CDB does bring back some memories of working in Sydney. Although, I have to admit that it is quite different. The mad rush for coffee isn't here in Singapore and the weather is not really coffee weather.

Dimbulah does serve a decent cup of coffee. I had a latte for about $5 and it was a large size. Taste wise was decent as well although again the forth was too light. I saw the barrista using Green Fields milk at the corner of my eye which explains why.

I previously blogged about Green Fields milk in Selfish Gene and Oriole. A lot of barristas here like to use Green Fields compared to in Australia where I have seen most of them use Pura. The result is a thinner forth which is not to my taste.

I also had a croissant and a cake slice.

Croissant with ham and cheese

The croissant was heated for me which was nice. At about $4.50 it was extremely ordinary. If you see from the picture, it was rather sad.

Espresso macadamia slice

The espresso macadamia cake slice was a sugar shocker. When I chose it, I thought it had a chocolate top. However, upon closer inspection and eating it, I realised that it was like a marzipan type of sugar top. I actually really dislike marzipan. So I am definitely not a fan plus the fact that the lower macadamia base was dry. But if you like marzipan and very sweet, this may be for you.

My take on Dimbulah. If you want coffee, its good. Anything else, you are better off going somewhere else.

Location: 72 Anson House, Anson Road, Tanjong Pagar
Opening Hours: 7am -7pm
Contact Number: 65362949



No comments:

Post a Comment