Tanjong Pagar

Tanjong Pagar was a historic centre for Singapore's Chinese community. It is now a cosmopolitan area within walking distance of the CDB with a wide range of old and new shops. It is a good place for a lunch time meal with office workers, a post work hangout area for pubs and fine dining and a pleasant place to explore cafes and eclectic shops on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bistro Soori

I have never heard about Bistro Soori. I stumbled upon it and found out that it was $39++ for lunch and decided to try it with a girl friend. It's a hidden gem.


The place has a clean feel to it. The thing I like about the place is that it looks classy but feels quite relaxed. It almost reminds me of restaurants in Australia.


Oysters with vinaigrette

This is simply done with red onion and a vinaigrette. Oysters don't always feel fresh and plump in Singapore but these ones were. Also, I was served with 3 oysters not one. I was quite pleased.

Tomato soup

We were given a cappucinno cup of tomato soup. It had small baby tomatoes in it for added texture. Rosemary for more flavour and smell. I appreciate that even though this was an add on, it was done very well.


Butterfish, tamarind, fennel, thai basil

This dish is clearly a fusion dish. Most places don't succeed doing fusion successfully but this was quite nice. The fish was firm fleshed and fresh. Sauce was a seafood bisque with tamarind. I think the tamarind replaces the lemon which is usually used with fish. This provides the dish with the same sort of acidity to cut through the fish. I love fennel with fish. I think the only thing I would change about this dish is to have the thai basil finely sliced into shreds instead of presented in whole leaves. The thai basil was a bit too strong to be eaten whole.

Pandan Souffle

The nice thing about souffles is that one can do souffles in any flavour imaginable. This one is done in a traditional Singaporean flavour. I am not too sure if I like souffle in the form of pandan. The eggy flavour of the souffle is still quite prominent here and I feel like it has to be toned down by a notch. Perhaps the strawberries should have been incorporated with the souffle rather than placed outside the souffle to make it work. Maybe durian souffle next time??
Plus wine, it came to about $55 per person. For the standard of food and the environment, I consider this quite a good deal. I had a lovely afternoon with good company and felt very relaxed after the lunch.

Location: 2 Lim Teck Kim Road, Tanjong Pagar
Price: About $55 plus a glass of wine
Contact Number: 64383802
Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 1130am- 230pm, 630pm - 10pm; Sat 630pm -10pm; Sun 1130am -330pm

No comments:

Post a Comment